5 September 2015

Review: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 645
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 11 out of 10. Aelin insisted so Rowan made me do it. 

** Spoilers, if you haven't read up to Heir of Fire! Actually, if you haven't started/finished any of the Throne of Glass series, I would stop reading too, just to be on the safe side! **

Summary (You rattle my stars, Goodreads): Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
 


My Thoughts: So, you know when you absolutely love a story something fierce, so when the next instalment comes out, it's almost guaranteed it won't live up to what you've built up in your head? Yeah? That feeling? IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Sarah J Maas is brilliant, and this story is brilliant, and I am so shocked to be able to say that this is definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my favourite book in the series. 

The characters this time around were probably my favourite part of the book. I re-read the series in anticipation of Queen of Shadows (and boy, I am glad that I did, because I forgot a whole lot of events that had happened. Also, SJM is the queen of foreshadowing... seriously). I love how much the characters have grown, and changed, and accepted who they are. They're unapologeticly themselves, and I am here for it. None of them have stayed the same, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. When monumental events happen, people change! It's natural! And I'm so glad that all the characters reflected that. Even though all the characters had such different journeys, they are perfectly woven together. I loved all the new characters that were introduced (Nesryn!!!), and I loved all the badass characters we were already introduced to, but who played such a huge role in this novel! (I'm looking at you Lysandra and Kaltain). In Heir of Fire, I tended to skim Manon's parts, but I was actually looking forward to what she was doing in QOS. And Rowan. Oh my god, Rowan. I love Rowan. Seriously, I just love him.

I don't want to say much more because this was one incoherent review as it is, and also for spoilery reasons. If you've read this, I'd love to discuss it with you and see what you think!

Seriously, I am in awe. Queen of Shadows has solidified my love for this series, hardcore.

Final Thoughts: Basically, this is what I looked like for the duration of the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...