17 May 2014

Review: Since You've Been Gone

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 448
Format: Paperback (ARC)
My Rating: 9 out of 10

Summary (thanks Goodreads): The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough.Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Um...


--------------------- I received this from the publisher for a fair and honest review --------------------- 


My Thoughts: So, um, why is it that everything Morgan Matson writes is perfect? Seriously. As soon as I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. I felt like the characters were my friends, and I grew attached... probably too attached... but I mean, fictional characters are the best, right? Sloane and Emily are best friends - attached-at-the-hip kind of best friend. And Emily is definitely, without a doubt, entirely dependent on Sloane for almost everything she does. At first, that kind of annoyed me, because it was so bizarre to me. Having someone totally rely on another person for  their happiness. But, once I moved passed that and started to get more and more interested in that whole dynamic, it was smooth sailing from there. 

I think what I loved most about this novel was the characters. Seriously. They all just felt so, so, so incredibly real. Like, it felt like I could call up Emily and have crazy adventures with Sloane. And, let's not forget Frank. Hello Frank, if things don't work out with Emily, well, you know where I am. At the same time though, as much as you thought you knew the characters, they'd surprise you. Or, you'd find something out that would totally throw you. It was insane, and believable and it felt like how I remember high school. Is that weird? Probably.

The plot was so interesting, and nothing like anything I have read before. It kept me on my toes, and as soon as I thought I knew what was happening, the opposite would. It kept me interested without being too heavy or too much of a "summer read". 

guarantee you that this will be one of the biggest books this summer. So get your hands on it and read it ASAP. I loved it, and I promise you will too. 

Final Thoughts: You want a summer read? This is it. Go get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...