19 February 2014

Review: Tangled

 Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Emma Chase
Format: eBook
Pages: 254
Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (Goodreads is tangled in this book too): Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating. 

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 

Can Drew Evans win at love? 

Tangled is not your mother’s romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women…just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can’t live without


My thoughts: Sooo...it has an interesting start, that's for sure. Actually, because of the opening I wasn't sure how I would enjoy this book. I'm not six years old but I'm not used to novels that...jump right into stuff like this novel did. Also, I'm often leering of two things: 1) books written by men but told in a female point of view (how do they know what we think) and 2) Elephants wearing hats and holding balloons. No wait, that's not right. I meant to say that 2) is novels written by women but told in a man's perspective because you have to do a lot of work and research to make that authentic. I'm tired of novels where the characters are all perfect. In real life, everyone has flaws and I think that, as a society, it's time we face the music.

BUT ANYWAY, I quite enjoyed this novel. Drew was a big stupid face but at least he was true to who he was. Also, I'll allow him a few points for trying. What a jealous one he is though. 

I felt so bad for Katherine. It sucks that she not only had to put up with him and his nonsense but she also had to put up with it at work. I'm actually amazed that neither of them ended up losing their jobs giving how they were acting. 

There seemed to be multiple places that this novel could have ended. I don't like that. It starts in the present then jumps back then moves forward and it's just a tangled mess. I can deal with books that flash back but this novel is 1/2 in a single flashback and I think that it's just too much. 

This review isn't very long. What else do I need to say? Why wasn't this novel higher than a 7 for me? I did enjoy it but it seemed like something was missing. I mean, I can't quite put my finger on it. The characters had chemistry and the minor characters were entertaining. The plot was decentish. The ending was super adorable and warranted a few "aws" but I've read this before. I guess, as a love/romance novel, it's hard to be different. I expected a bit more. I would read novels by this author in the future but I'm not certain I would reread this one. 

You know what? That's harsh. How about this: you read it and let me know what you think.

So: This is a fast read but definitely for an olderish audience. It was a good read but sometimes I wanted to punch Drew in the face for being stupid...but it's worth the roughly five hours it took me to read it.

Oh: Look, it won a goodreads award. Wooooooo! Go Tangled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...