8 February 2014

Review: Allegiant

17383918Reviewer: Kristen  
Author: Veronica Roth 
Pages: 525
Format: Hardback 
My Rating: 5 out of 10


Summary (thanks Goodreads): The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.


My SPOILER FREE Thoughts: So, the smart thing to do would have been to write this review right after having read this. I read it the week it came out, and, yeah, that was a while ago. I had, however, set up the review where I put my original rating and last line of the review. Since then, my thoughts have definitely changed. 

In the spirit of full disclosure, apparently immediately after reading this, I rated it an 8. I also ended the original version of the review with, "Definitely, without a doubt, my favourite in the series." Now that I've had months to think about it, I've changed my mind. 

For the most part, I understand why authors do what they do to characters, and I understand how important it is to keep characters organic. With the success of Divergent, I'm glad that Tris and Tobias both, for the most part, stayed the same. I didn't feel like Roth catered to what the fans wanted. Which is good, A+ for that! What I don't understand, though, is when authors do things for the shock factor. And frankly, I think a lot of the aspects of this novel were done for the shock factor. If you've read this, you definitely know what I'm referring to. 

Also, I felt like nothing of consequence happened. Dare I say, it felt like Breaking Dawn? There was build up, and then it fell flat. It felt like none of their plans came to fruition. The story didn't go where I thought it would, which I suppose is good. There wasn't enough grandeur, especially not for the final book in a popular series. 

Anyways, I don't really know what to say. I feel like people far more qualified than I have beat this horse past recognition. I've just gotta put down the bat. 

It was okay. It wrapped some things up, but not enough. 

Final Thoughts: A big old MEH


_______________________________________________

Reviewer: Kelsey
Rating: 5 out of 10

Thoughts: It was blah. I thought it was really long and kind of unnecessary. I'm glad that there was some kind of wrap to the series but I really think that this was not the best fit to end it. 

I would be okay with some of the...choices that the author made, had they been necessary or executed well. I don't think that either of those things applied to what she did. In fact, I felt that she undid all the work she did to wrap up the series. I expected so much more. 

Like, there isn't even that much to say...

I'm unhappy with this novel.

To End: This ending simply wasn't good enough for all the build up. I'm going to compare it to the end of Breaking Dawn...where nothing happens. Perhaps that's harsh given what does happen. I guess, to me, it just felt like one HUGE loose end. I'm so unsatisfied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...