7 January 2014

Obsidian (Lux #1)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 361
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (I don't even like you, Goodreads): Starting over sucks.


When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is


My Thoughts: Okay, cover aside, this book is really great. It's packs a lot into it. It's got best friendships and love and action and good and evil and non-human character. Kristen gave me this novel and told me what it was basically about. I wasn't so sure I would enjoy it but having some kind of different people without them being vampires was kind of great. 

I got right into this novel and stuck with it until the end. I couldn't get enough. Of course, having a main character that I could understand and relate to was great...a book blogger? Couldn't get any better.

I just wish that she was a stronger character. She showed many strengths but I think she could have been so much more. I'm sad that the female character never ends up equal to the attractive male love interest. I think that girls should be allowed to prove themselves and Katy does in this novel. I just wish that her proving herself was better excepted. 

I love how sassy Daemon is too. I love the sarcasm and witty banter. I think he's wonderful. Hmm...I may be in love with him...but that's beside the point! In the beginning though, he was really hard to understand. I knew what he was and still found a hard time figuring out what his problem was. At the end of the copy I had there were a few chapters from his point of view and that helped for the next novel, if only a little bit. He really grows on you.

This novel seemed both similar and different to many of the other novels I've been reading recently. Yes, it was easy and there was love and there were characters that are not of this world but it was something more than that. The characters had chemistry. Even where that chemistry didn't turn romantic, I felt the characters were feeding off each other in a way that good actors on stage or TV do. They helped each other change and grow. I love that about this novel. I wanted to get to know these characters and how they may or may not change.

Conclusion: I loved this book and read four of them in three days. I didn't put them down. I can't wait to finish the series. Give it a chance. Kristen and I have a small non-weird crush on this writer so you might as well just buy one of her novels so you can be in the loop...no, seriously, go buy all her novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...