23 October 2013

Defiance

Defiance (Defiance, #1)Reviewer: Kristen 
Author: C J Redwine
Pages: 403
Format: Paperback 
My Rating: 7 out of 10


Summary (you so great, Goodreads): While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.

When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


My Thoughts: I really, really enjoyed this story. A lot. I liked the setting, I liked the plot, I liked the story line, I liked the characters. Understatement, I loved most the characters. Words of wisdom though; don't get too attached. There's death, there's violence. It's a dystopia mixed with romance and a heavy dose of a strong lead character. I think that C J Redwine writes beautifully, and I was completely immersed in her world. At first, I really enjoyed the alternating perspectives, but as the book went on, it almost felt tedious. Sometimes I felt Logan's thoughts were a little too romanticized (I understand obligations and moral duties, but how far are you really going to go for someone you haven't spoken to in two years, especially when being blown up is an option?). But I got over that quickly enough, and dived right back in.

Technically speaking, the only "major" problem I had with this love story was the romance aspect of it. I love me a good romance, don't get me wrong. And I absolutely love that it didn't morph into a cheesy love triangle. It was a good old boy and girl falling in love with no interference (okay, besides the interference of the town leader, better known as dictator dickwad in my books). Excuse my outburst. Anyways, the problem I had was that the relationship just kind of happened. It happened before the books got started, but not really. I mean, she had a crush and he didn't. They hadn't spoken. Now they are, and we see that oh my gosh, he really did like her. And oh my gosh, how convenient, she still really likes him too! So one day, without really saying anything (other than I love you) they were together. Ish. Or are they? I'm not really totally 100% sure. I read somewhere the author said that she wasn't sure if they were going to be together, and I think that kind of seeped into the book. Enough of that though. 

That cover though! Seriously, that's part of the reason I bought this. It's so pretty, I just wanna look at it all the time! 

Final Thoughts: Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book, too, but I have to say that I agree about the romance. Maybe it's better in book 2 ?

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...