18 May 2013

Walking Disaster

Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)Reviewer: Kristen 
Author: Jamie McGuire 
Pages: 433
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 5 out of 10


Sequel to Beautiful Disaster

Summary (you da best, Goodreads): Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes


My Thoughts: Okay, okay. I know. When you rate a book 5, it always looks bad. But, give me a moment to collect my thoughts and I will do my best to justify it. This book was, in all honesty, just okay. I didn't not like it, but I didn't really enjoy it either. Once I hit the last few pages, it felt like I was reading just to get it done, which is always disappointing with characters you love. And I do love them, but I think that love comes from Beautiful Disaster. I realize that Walking Disaster is a companion novel, but I thought there would be a lot more differences from the first book, because there was honestly so much more we could have learned about Travis. I don't know about you, but this novel kind of made me dislike Travis. And it kind of made Abby seem bi-polar. The attraction wasn't spelt out to you like it was in BD. At the risk of sounding like a nutcase, there was even one point in the book where Abby was saying something, and all the sudden it just felt like... words? The magic of the character was suddenly gone, and it felt like I was just reading singular words strung together in a way with little meaning. Suffice to say, that has never happened before, and I don't want it to happen again. My advice to you before picking this up is to read the BD, way in advance. I don't think I would have even finished it if I had read these back to back. Again, I know companion and blah blah blah. But it is literally the same story, with a few tweaks. The way things are described are even worded the same in each book. It was okay, but unsatisfyingly the same. Yet not entirely the same, because there were some events I thought crucial, that were just glazed over in WD! I don't get it, I really don't. I wish Jamie McGuire would have re-introduced us to characters again. She dived back into complicated story lines that the reader only would have understood had they read the first, and I did read the first; just a lonnnnnnnng time ago. I mean, for Pete's sake, I forgot who Shepley was. On more of a positive note, it was written really well. I loved how things were worded, and I honestly forgot that a male himself didn't write this book. It felt male, not like a female trying to idealize the inner workings of the male mind. Another positive, the cover is hot. Literally no other way to describe it.  

Final Thoughts: It was okay. Just okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...