1 March 2013

Forget You

Forget YouReviewer: Kristen
Author: Jennifer Echols
Pages: 292
Format: Paperback

My Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (via Goodreads): WHY CAN’T YOU CHOOSE WHAT YOU FORGET . . .  AND WHAT YOU REMEMBER?

There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four-year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.  But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all--the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug--of all people-- suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life--a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug. 


My Thoughts: This isn't the first Jennifer Echols novel that I've read, but I do think that it's my favourite. There were so many cute little things that I appreciated with this novel, that it almost made me overlook what I didn't like about it. Almost. I hate starting off so negatively because I really did enjoy the novel, but I just can't shake the thought. What the hell Zoey? Just because you slept with Brandon (which was a little bit more than stupid), does not mean you're in a relationship. I don't know if I missed the point where they decided that they would be exclusive (at least in Zoey's mind, because they sure as hell weren't in Brandon's), but comon! You don't have to pine for a guy, especially when you have cute, somewhat unrightfully dubbed bad ass, Doug waiting in the stands for you. I hate it when the main character is needy/ naive, and Zoey was a bit of both. I also don't like it when the guy pines for the girl for years, and the girls oblivious blah blah blah because that, in my no way professional opinion, is a little too overdone. So that's what annoyed me. What I liked was the constant twists and turns and coming to an understanding for everything that was happening. I liked that Doug was rough, and raw, and emotional and didn't let Zoey pull the same crap she pulled with everyone else. I liked that even though she appeared to have the perfect life, she really didn't. Hello, why was her father such an asshole? Excuse my French, but really! What a jerk. To Zoey's credit, she tried her best to keep it together, and even though it didn't always work, she came out stronger and didn't always need to lean on someone else to get through her problems. I loved Doug, but how could you not. This was a really good, really quick read and I recommend it for any of you suckers who are looking for a romance!

Final Thoughts: Wow, that sounded harsh. Don't let that deter you, I really enjoyed it! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said. I really liked this book, but Zoey got on my nerves juts a little to much for me to love it.
    Sadly this wasn't my favorite book by Jennifer Echols.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...