30 November 2012

The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings PlaybookReviewer: Kristen
Author: Matthew Quick
Pages: 289
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (via Goodreads): Meet Pat Peoples. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure him a happy ending—the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat’s now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he’s being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he’s being haunted by Kenny G!


My Thoughts: I'm sure that I'm not the only one who picked this up because I heard it was going to a movie. I'm awfully glad that I did! Matthew Quick effectively and tastefully ventures through the mind of Pat Peoples. With how sensitive people are to mental illness, this is quite the daunting task. However, Matthew Quick does it tastefully and without apology. Everything about this book screams at you to keep reading, and the plot drives you forward. Trust me, I didn't want to put this down even for a second. And I didn't. I loved Tiffany - so complicated, yet so obviously a God sent to Pat. I absolutely loved how Matthew Quick portrayed the family life, and how much he focused on how crucial they were to Pat. The relationship that Pat has with his brother Jake made me "awwwwww" a lot more than once! This is an exceptional read, and I encourage everyone to check it out! 


Final Thoughts: Give this a whirl! Especially if you like Perks of Being a Wallflower, or The Catcher in the Rye. You won't regret it. It's tasteful, and heartfelt, and definitely a breath of fresh air!


Movie vs. Book Thoughts: I'll admit to you, and only you, that I saw the movie before I read the book. I had every intention on reading the book first, but I ordered it online, and you never know how long those things can take! I'll also admit that I was really excited to see it because the previews looked great so Kels and I did go on opening day.... sue me! Back to the point though, if you're going to compare the book to the movie, I think you'll be disappointed. Standing alone, both are amazing pieces of work. The movie was heartfelt and remained true to the core of the story, but there were a lot of differences. One of the biggest being the portrayal of Pat's father, Patrick. In the movie, he's much more involved, and not as hostile, even though Patrick being who he was was so crucial to the book. The whole reason for the dance competition is different. In my opinion, both the movie and the book are great, and I recommend watching/reading both. 

Comparing the Book to the Movie, I'd rate it: 5/10
Appreciating the Movie as a separate entity: 9/10 
So I guess it just depends on what you're going in expecting with the show. Don't let this pass you by!  

Kelsey's Thoughts (on the movie): I loved it so much. When Kristen and I went to see it , we both kept having mini-freak-outs. I think I almost had a heart attack then died of happiness then had another heart attach. It was some of the best acting that I have seen in a long time. I believe that both Cooper and Lawrence should and will be recognized for it. It was great. I definitely recommend going to see the movie. I have the book on order so I'll probably let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...